Vacuum cleaners are not only effective at cleaning dust and getting rid of allergens, they are also easy to use, they save time and energy. They are equipped with suction motors and filters to pull in dirt and dust. They can be categorized into hand-held, canister, vertical, and robot vacuum cleaners – of which the most practical and versatile class is the portable handheld vacuum cleaners for most homes, cars, and everything in between.
Why do We Need a Vacuum Cleaner?
The primary reasons you want to get one are threefold.
- Convenience and efficiency: Compared to other options like sweeping or using wet cloths, hand-held vacuum cleaners are extremely adept at cleaning a variety of surfaces. They don’t need any expertise to operate, just plug in and run the machine. In battery-operated models, even that is not required.
- Time Saving: They clean faster too and have filters that render the air clean and make it free of allergens and dust. The disposal of garbage and dust is easy and depends on the model you pick up.
- Versatility: They offer a wide range of applications. A hand-held vacuum cleaner can be used in a lot of places, where a regular vacuum cleaner cannot, especially when it comes to the cordless type. You can use it outdoors, for cleaning the insides of your car or cleaning your basement. You can take it with you on your travels and can even use it when you want to clear the sand off your tent. You can clean places like bookshelves that are installed at a height.
How to Choose the Right Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
The choice essentially depends on what kind of vac you are looking for. The parameters vary based on your preference and use case. Here is a brief rundown on what to look for when choosing the right handheld vacuum cleaner.
1. Suction Power: The quintessential parameter is power. It is usually measured in Pascals (Pa or kPa) which is the standard metric of pressure. You will likely find handheld vacs between 5 and 13 kPa and upright ones above 40 kPa. The higher the value, the more suction power you will get. If it’s too low, it can only handle light dust and hairs, etc. whereas one with high power (around 30Wa/12 kPa, which I use now), can suck out visible solid debris, dirt, and chips alongside micro dust, hairs, and other small particles.
2. Run Time: Portable handheld vacuum cleaners usually can go from 5 minutes to 30 minutes if they are run non-stop. However, even if those numbers look small, you need to consider that you will not be using it vacuum continuously but rather sporadically where you are cleaning. As such, I never need to use over 10 minutes of running time for cleaning a full-sized living room. That said, the longer the run time the better when it comes to utility.
3. Low Noise: The noise of a typical vacuum cleaner is usually around 70 decibels which is not enough to damage your hearing, especially because you probably won’t be running your vacuum cleaner for longer periods at a time. Nevertheless, a loud handheld vacuum cleaner can be annoying, particularly if someone’s trying to watch TV or take a nap nearby. Therefore, the quieter, the better.
4. Portability: Next comes the portability of the modern handheld vacuum cleaners. Be that at home or in a car, if you need a quick cleaning, the sleekest of the bunch is engineered with such a profile that you can carry it in a pocket, or store it in the car’s glove compartment, while being competitive with a full-fledged upright vacuum cleaner.
5. Multipurpose/Versatile Accessories and Reach Factor: Regardless of which one you pick up, it will come with an assortment of accessories and attachments. However, this can be deceiving. You should look closely for the attachments that are right for you. In my estimation, the longer the crevice tool is, the better reach I get in hard-to-access parts of your spaces.
6. Price/Budget: This is trivial! You want the best bang for the buck. Remember one thing I have learned from decades of experience – “The old $1,000 gadget is now the new $100”. Even with inflation, this can be attributed to better and more efficient engineering.
What do I Recommend and Why
After going through multiple handheld vacuum cleaners ranging from $100 to $2,000 over the years, I found vacuum cleaners to be indispensable for any household. As such, I will recommend one that won’t break the bank without making any compromises. The one I use now is the Ofuzzi H8 Apex. It is a perfect bang for the buck and the one I would recommend as my personal best to pick up in this new year of 2023. I must disclaim that I am indeed affiliated with Ofuzzi, but I will only present facts here. If there is any doubt about the veracity, I warmly welcome you to check out the Verified customer reviews on Amazon and the inter-webs (and the Youtube/customer reviews section below).
Here is a brief rundown on an objective evaluation of why I am so feature-wise enamored by it and bought it for multiple family members already. You can match this with the checklist with the parameters presented above in the “How to choose the right handheld vacuum cleaner” section for a comprehensive evaluation. Moreover, when you get the H8 Apex, the myriad of accessories gives a glimpse of its versatility.
1. Powerful Suction: It uses an M1 brushless motor (which in layman's terms offers a longer lifespan) and delivers a surging 30WA/12kPa of suction – which if you are into engineering like me, will know is a heavy suction power for this use case. It effortlessly picks up stubborn fur, dust, and fluff.
2. Thoughtfully Engineered Accessories: I can switch between four different accessories to get the most effective cleaning. Includes a crevice nozzle for narrow spaces, two for surfaces like sofas which is a blessing for removing pet hair off my carpets, and one for general use alongside the car. Besides, the crevice nozzle can be used with other accessories.
3. Unprecedented Reach with Extra-long Crevice Tool: This is the (not so secret) weapon that makes it stand out to me. It is essentially why I keep it with me even in the car even while I own a more expensive upright vac. Given the super long attachments and crevice tool, it can reach the depths of the abyss (well, it never hurts to be dramatic) under furniture, carpets, and up on the attic.
4. Ultra-Lightweight: At only 1.2 lbs (540g), it’s a single-handed gadget. The lock on the dust canister prevents accidental opening, so I can empty it in seconds after cleaning. Moreover, dust, debris, and fur removal are a breeze.
5. Extended Run Time: For a portable handheld vacuum cleaner, the H8 Apex packs quite the punch in the running time area. It can go for 30 minutes at a full charge which is unheard of. So, you can get your whole household squeaky clean in a single charge.
6. Dual-Layer Filtration System: This is one of the primary reasons for me to pick it (besides the value for money). Its stainless-steel filter and HEPA filter are washable and reusable, and the combination can filter out 99.95% of particles according to literature.
7. Easy Storage: As always, convenience is key: It comes with a handy storage bag that I can use to neatly store the gadget and its accessories away in a drawer. Moreover, it charges using USB-C, so I can use any phone charger.
What Users Say About this Model
There are hundreds of verified customer reviews on Amazon for both. I recommend you check them out though I am sharing a few excerpts here.
Signer Sean. wrote in their review, “Just got this today to get all the lil crevices in my semi truck that have filled up with dirt. Surprising power for this product, I must say. Nice attachments and extremely well made. My dog’s hairs also are a breeze nowadays.” “It is so nice to clean everywhere. I would like to buy one more.”, wrote Nasuo on Amazon briefly.
Where to Buy
As of writing at the dawn of 2023, you can get it for a steal on Amazon. Whether it's momentum from the holiday festivities, there are often coupons available to avail on the giant retailer i.e., Amazon. So, you can grab it on the link on our website.
With the ubiquitous development in thoughtful engineering, value for money has skyrocketed. Now, you can get a handheld portable vacuum cleaner for your house or car for around $100 which would have cost you tenfold even several years ago. The Ofuzzi H8 Apex is a prime example of this. I really feel it is a great testament to the thoughtful engineers who made all the right decisions in making such a fantastic product while keeping the price within the reach of the American middle class.